Display corruption?

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
KE7FNS

Re: Display corruption?

Post by KE7FNS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:36 am

K9EQ wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm
The download was provided as a community service so that people would NOT have to:
1. Install the software to build C and C++ programs.
2. Install the necessary libraries.
3. Obtain the source code off of Github
4. Build the code.
5. Test it. (I actually test things I do.)
Again, the instructions to build a library are clearly documented in multiple places, not at all difficult for a user to copy and paste into a terminal.

https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVMHost/blob/master/OLED.md

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential git-core libi2c-dev i2c-tools lm-sensors

git clone https://github.com/hallard/ArduiPi_OLED
cd ArduiPi_OLED
sudo make
K9EQ wrote:
The point is *ALL* the information is there. I didn't do anything more than document it and post the compiled results. Unlike the Linux community I actually documented what I did for others to benefit from.
I disagree, the build instructions are not there, or even links to the original source code and documentation.
K9EQ wrote:
I suspect you didn't visit my website where I ACTUALLY POST AND GIVE CREDIT TO the person that did the work on the library. You can follow HIS links to HIS Github repository.
You are correct, why would I bother to visit your site to download your build of someone elses work? Also an even better question is why would I need a library for chip on a display I don't even use? I had an OLED for about a month, it was tiny and went dim, so I unsoldered it and placed it where it belonged, in the garbage.
K9EQ wrote:
Keep in mind that many people using Hotspots don't care about the "Linux community". They just want their hotspot to work. They don't care about Linux and would prefer not to know anything about the command line. THAT'S WHY I POSTED THE BINARY ALONG WITH SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ITS USE!
You know whats even easier than all of that?

BUYING THE CORRECT OLED DISPLAY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

https://www.banggood.com/0_96-Inch-4Pin ... ehouse=USA

https://www.banggood.com/0_96-Inch-4Pin ... ehouse=USA

There are plenty more where that came from.
K9EQ wrote:
On a more personal note, I don't think it's a good idea to complain about people trying to do things to make things better. Even if they don't do it the way you would have done it. So I really don't think you have anything to complain about. There's plenty of work that needs to be done, perhaps you should consider undertaking a project or two.
I'm not going to bother getting involved in a deadend project that has a small subset of users, and most of all that I have zero interest in, and for you to even suggest that idea is just asinine.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

K9EQ

Post by K9EQ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Well, thank-you for those links. Glad to see you could contribute something. Unfortunately the poor documentation and lack of resources makes it difficult to identify such sources. I'll guarantee you that if you go on Amazon, like most people might, you're likely to get the SSD1106 chip.

To be clear, the updated library is more general and works with BOTH chips. In fact, the 4.X beta appears to use a library so modified.

I didn't ask you to get involved in *this* project. It was done. Finished. Published for the benefit of those who might care. Since you don't have the problem you wouldn't care. Right?

So thank-you for posting those sources. That was helpful. And that was my point about contributing. So perhaps after the noise is deleted from these posts, someone else may find them handy.

Chris, K9EQ

KE0AEQ

Post by KE0AEQ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi, I hope I am one of those that can find this thread handy, but I can open a new thread if it is appropriate. My friend and I have Jumbospots on Pi Zero W"s that work great. He decided to buy 2 duplex hats to put on a Pi 3B. We have tried numerous settings in the configuration, but cannot get the display to light up, even for a second, with the duplex hats attached to a Pi 3B or a Pi 2. Nor will they boot (no dashboard shows up). When attached to a Pi Zero W, they will boot, dashboard shows up, and we can access Brandmeister, in this case. But the display is always blank. We were thinking it was bad hardware (the first one he got had a cracked display, so the vendor sent him another one). Saw this thread and thought there might be some help here. I don't "code", and use Linux only for dualbooting my computers and a few other things. Thanks in advance.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:43 am

KE0AEQ wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm
We have tried numerous settings in the configuration, but cannot get the display to light up, even for a second, with the duplex hats attached to a Pi 3B or a Pi 2. Nor will they boot (no dashboard shows up).
That comment makes me think you are trying to load the 3.4.17 version of Pi-star on a RPi 3 B+ . I can't think of any reason why 3.4.17 wouldn't boot on anything lower than a RPi 3b. If it really is not a B+ version, then I'd plug it into a HDMI monitor, and try to boot it without the hat and see what happens. You really need to start there and figure out what in that specific combination is preventing things from working correctly.

A 3B+ on 3.4.17 will not boot at all due to specific firmware files that are missing from the old OS, if it is a 3 B+ you need to run the Pi-star Beta. https://www.pistar.uk/beta/

KE0AEQ wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm
When attached to a Pi Zero W, they will boot, dashboard shows up, and we can access Brandmeister, in this case. But the display is always blank. We were thinking it was bad hardware (the first one he got had a cracked display, so the vendor sent him another one). Saw this thread and thought there might be some help here. I don't "code", and use Linux only for dualbooting my computers and a few other things. Thanks in advance.
Open up SSH, type "i2cdetect -y 1"

you should see something like the following

Code: Select all

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

If the OLED board is communicating correctly one of those --'s will be something different than dashes something like 3c. That is its address on the i2c bus.

If you can get it to detect an i2c device connected to the bus, then you should be able to set some configuration settings in MMDVMHost and get the screen to start to display things.

The first problem is there are different settings for each screen size, and you haven't listed which screen size you are trying to use. The other thing is you could be trying to use one of the cheap screens that are using the older SSD1106 chipset K9EQ was talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1284#p8773
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.