Locked Out After 1st successful Login

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC3KFW

Locked Out After 1st successful Login

Post by KC3KFW »

Hi All!

I'm stumped. I set up an MMDVM hotspot on a headless Pi Zero for a friend. I have the same hotspot. I set it up, and I never have a problem with mine. The first time I logged into the Pi-star Configuration from a browser on his home network, all was good. When I tried to log in after that, his browser said the site is "Restricted" because the site is not secure. He gets a "401 Authentication Required / nginx," and comes back to the login popup repeatedly. I did not have this issue at home when setting it up and testing it over a period of several days on my network. I brought the hotspot home, re-flashed Pi-star, and set his hotspot up again. It seemed to work fine. I took it back over to his place, and it did the same exact thing... one successful login, and then it locks you out. I tried disabling his antivirus/firewall, using three different browsers, changed browser settings, allowed http://pi-star/ in the browsers, and I tried two different computers on his network. No resolution. Other than being unable to log into Pi-star, the hotspot appears to function normally. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Carl
KC3KFW
AF6VN

Re: Locked Out After 1st successful Login

Post by AF6VN »

KC3KFW wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:36 am said the site is "Restricted" because the site is not secure. He gets a "401 Authentication Required / nginx," and comes back to the login popup
The 401 status code comes from the web-SERVER, not the browser.

Can you SSH to the Pi-Star unit and check the log files (those for nginx in particular).

/var/log/auth.log (doesn't seem to be applicable for web server rejection, but should show SSH login)
/var/log/nginx/error.log

After deliberately using the incorrect password to connect to the admin page (twice)...

Code: Select all

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ cat /var/log/nginx/error.log

2020/03/18 13:53:29 [error] 875#875: *2331980 user "pi-star": password mismatch, client: 192.168.1.66, server: , request: "GET /admin/ HTTP/1.1", host: "pi-star-3b"
2020/03/18 13:53:42 [error] 875#875: *2331981 user "pi-star": password mismatch, client: 192.168.1.66, server: , request: "GET /admin/ HTTP/1.1", host: "pi-star-3b"
pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$
Make sure the browser does not have a saved login that might be holding incorrect information. (UGH! Mozilla Firefox has completely changed the way one manages stored logins).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KC3KFW

Re: Locked Out After 1st successful Login

Post by KC3KFW »

Thanks Dennis!

I will check this out when I get a chance. Unfortunately, that will not be very soon as my friend is now self-quarantined.

Carl