Talk Group Problem

General support for the Pi-Star System
GM0SUH

Talk Group Problem

Post by GM0SUH »

Hi,
I am new to Digital Radio. I have managed to get a Hotspot (MMDVM) sort of working with my AT878.
The "sort of" is that I can copy conversations on TG91. But although I have programmed a number of other talk groups into the radio, my Hotspot seems stuck on TG91.
I imagine the problem is with either my programming of the Hotspot or the Radio.
My thought is that the radio is not sending TG requests to the Hotspot.
I would welcome assistance, as having a working DNR system should help to alleviate the lock down.
Regards
John Montgomery GM0SUH 2354718
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Talk Group Problem

Post by M1DNS »

Are you using tg4000 to drop the current tg. Before initiating the new one?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
GM0SUH

Post by GM0SUH »

hi
No I am not using TG4000, as I do not know what it is.
Do I just add a TG4000 channel?

Many thanks for your reply
GM0SUH
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Which DMR host/server are you using? (Brandmeister?, Other?)

What does the channel configuration of the radio look like?

For Talk Group selection (rather than Reflector selection), you will typically need to have a channel for each talk group. The channels should look identical except for channel name, and the contact name on the channel (I suggest you also create a Receive Group List having each talk group you are interested in, and assign that Rx Group List to each of the channels*).

On Brandmeister, hitting PTT will normally activate that talk group as a dynamic (unless it is one of the pre-configured static talk groups).

I can't help with usage of reflectors -- US Brandmeister has disabled reflectors as every reflector has a dedicated talk group that can be used instead. I believe the gist is that one only needs two channels when working reflectors. One channel is used to send (via /private call/ I believe) the reflector number, the other channel is then used for communication on the reflector -- that channel is commonly configured as talk group 9.

* Brandmeister, at least, allows one to define multiple static talk groups (always active, so if one sets up such they should probably be groups of high importance but low traffic). It also does dynamic talk groups, which time out after 10-15 minutes if one has not transmitted to them. Using an RX group list means traffic on the static and any active dynamic groups will be heard -- allowing one to change channel if one desires to reply to it (Some radios may even automatically respond on that talk group if some internal time-out has not expired).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

GM0SUH wrote:
Do I just add a TG4000 channel?

GM0SUH

Yep, create a channel just the same as every other talk group u have done already this time using 4000 group call.
When you wanna change TG's select that 4000 channel keyup and the current tg will drop. Then key up the new tg your wanting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
GM0SUH

Post by GM0SUH »

Many thanks everyone for support.
I think I get the idea now.
regards
GM0SUH