.96 OLED Mounting Frustrations

All things relating to OLED Screen(s)
KC3MLA

.96 OLED Mounting Frustrations

Post by KC3MLA »

The .96in OLED screens I've found have 4 pins at .1in spacing

Depending on the MMDVM board, the OLED header can be either wired to the STM32 chip or the GPIO header. Since the software (MMDVMHost and/or
MMDVM firmware?) does not support OLED, if wired to the STM32 the OLED header is not functional. The ZUMspot is an example of such a board (will be changed in a future version).

If wired to the GPIO the OLED header is functional, but mounting the screen to it results in a physical screen position that is not centered over the board making installation in a case difficult or impossible.

Mounting the screen directly to the GPIO can result in good physical placement. With JumboSPOT boards this is easy. The JS only has female "pins" installed on the first 5 pairs of the GPIO headers (pins #1-#10?). The OLED screen pins can be soldered into holes 12/14/16/18.

With the ZUMspot and DB9MAT/DF2ET boards this is more of a challenge since all GPIO header positions have female "pins" installed.

This is a summary based on information I've gathered from various sources. Hopefully some of it is incorrect. Comments and corrections are welcome.
Mark
KC3MLA

Re: .96 OLED Mounting Frustrations

Post by KC3MLA »

Screen position over the board is especially important if you want, for example, to install a ZUMspot on a Pi0W with a .96 OLED screen all in a ZRZ-1S case from C4Labs.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who did the above configuration.
Mark
KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA »

The examples of a .96 OLED on a ZUMspot I've seen have use wires between the two since it appears that the GPIO header positions aren't contiguous so you can't just position the screen's pins over the GPIO and solder. And no C4Labs case.
Mark
KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA »

Another modification I happened upon is to remove (de-solder) the pins that come in the screen and replace with right-angle ones. Together with a GPIO shim (sold by HRO) this would lower the profile of the screen.

But still a couple problems with this - when using a case you need to find a way to get wires from screen around MMDVM board to shim. This could be avoided if you're using an MMDVM with operational OLED header and install right-angle pins on it.
Mark
G0APM

Post by G0APM »

I appreciate this is an older post but for interest I managed to mount a 0.96" display on top of
ZUMspot v0.4 and a C4labs case. I used HotGlue (carefully applied) to the top two corners (GPIO end)
only and a small plastic shim under to avoid shorts. It's very secure. I removed the pins from the screen.

I took power, 3.3V from the I2C pins on the modem and other from appropriate GPIO pins. Couldn't
make it work at all using the modem interface.
OLED_ZUMspot.jpg (102.46 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
73 - Clem - G0APM - always tinkering
CO of Essex in the SE of England