Raspberry Pi 4

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE0FHS

Re: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:02 am

MW0MWZ wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:24 pm
dropped the wpa_supplicant.conf into /boot....
Okay, tried this method, but still didn't work. Bypasses connecting to my wireless network and goes into Auto AP mode. If I look at the Configuration page in the Wireless Configuration section and open Configure WiFi, I can see my wireless network entered as Network 0, but it won't connect.

FYI, network name and password copied and pasted from a password manager to eliminate the chance of typos.

I'm giving up for now.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 am

MW0MWZ wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 pm
The wpa_supplicant.conf I happened to use was generated by the tool on the pistar.uk website, that tool has not changed at all, the format is identical to the old ones - it works exactly as expected.
Decided to do one final test:
  • Used the same ZUMspot + RPi 3A+ hotspot as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same microSD card as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same wpa_supplicant.conf file as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • But used the 4.0.0-RC4 image that I still had saved on my PC
It worked just fine, booting up and connecting straightaway to my wireless network.

This tells me there is an issue with 4.1-RC1.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:55 am

KE0FHS wrote:
KD8DVR wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:46 am
I got one pi zero to finally connect to wifi.
Did you try anything different with that one? I'm burning a fresh image with the wpa_supplicant.conf file copied to the root directory right now, but I'm willing to try anything!
I did an overwrite format first. But when trying it on another pi's SD card, it didn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:57 am

KE0FHS wrote:
MW0MWZ wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 pm
The wpa_supplicant.conf I happened to use was generated by the tool on the pistar.uk website, that tool has not changed at all, the format is identical to the old ones - it works exactly as expected.
Decided to do one final test:
  • Used the same ZUMspot + RPi 3A+ hotspot as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same microSD card as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • Used the same wpa_supplicant.conf file as with the previous failed test with 4.1.0-RC1
  • But used the 4.0.0-RC4 image that I still had saved on my PC
It worked just fine, booting up and connecting straightaway to my wireless network.

Yeah. Same thoughts here. I burned a 4.0 to one of my hotspots SD cards and it worked immediately. Guess I'll have to revert back to 4.0 on 2 of my devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:07 am

Well, I am noticing that the network is having difficulty resolving hosts for quite a while after the Pi is booted. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm poking at it.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

:lol: , if someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 am

KE0FHS wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 am
Hey, you wanna try something really quick and see what happens? I don't have a Zero to test.

You are going to need to connect to network though, so maybe tried wired and then run this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openresolv
I was able to get my 4.1 hotspot to act correctly the instant I reinstalled that package, it started resolving network hosts right away.

For some reason Andy removed that package, I'm guessing he was trying to downsize the image, and I'm 99% certain that is the culprit.

:lol: , if someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 am

KE7FNS wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 am
KE0FHS wrote:
Hey, you wanna try something really quick and see what happens? I don't have a Zero to test.

You are going to need to connect to network though, so maybe tried wired and then run this:

I was able to get my 4.1 hotspot to act correctly the instant I reinstalled that package, it started resolving network hosts right away.

For some reason Andy removed that package, I'm guessing he was trying to downsize the image, and I'm 99% certain that is the culprit.
Good detective work! I don't know how I can install this package on the Pi Zero W but I'm hoping that Andy can roll a new pi-star image with this included.
--

Brian G8SEZ

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 am

MW0MWZ wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm
had some issues with it relating to NTP that have now been ironed out
Looks like there's still some ntp work to do.

/var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift is not writable when / is in RO mode.

From the documentation I've read it states that the file ntp.drift is replaced, rather than just updated every hour by ntpd, so its going to either need its own tempfs, or pointed to a different location.

I'm also seeing a conflict with ntp wanting to use IPv6 and on my setup its failing to resolve. I think I'm going to have to disable IPv6.

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 am

KE7FNS wrote:
KE0FHS wrote:

Thats weird, I removed that due to the issues it was causing - fun times, I've removed the new image until I can fix up the issues.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:33 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Well done! I'm impressed with how quickly you figured this out.

I'm running a 3A+, so won't be able to test this solution. I thought about trying it with one of the 3B+ boards I still have, but I think I'll wait for Andy's next RC.

BTW, I've got Buster up and running on my shack computer, a 3B+, and it is performing very well so far (over WiFi). Even though the Raspberry Pi Foundation folks highly recommend against it, I went ahead and upgraded from Stretch to Buster just to see what the process would be like. It took a long, long time, and while the results were usable, it wasn't great. So after that, I went ahead and flashed a fresh install of Buster. It was fast and easy, and the results were much, much better.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS