Pi-star only sees wifi but not computer

Help setting up WiFi
ki7fcg

Pi-star only sees wifi but not computer

Post by ki7fcg »

My zumspot-rpi nextion 3.5 shows up on my computer wifi list but my computer can't connect to it. Can't get the ip address even using an ip address finder. pi-star.local/ does not work either. Just says cant find web address. Also, when pi-star is connected it disconnects the computer so I have to use ethernet. No instruction told me about that. Looked all over Youtube and Google but no joy. I also got this message:

This site can’t be reached 192.168.50.98 refused to connect.

Maybe that is the ip address but not sure. why this message? HELP!

Thanks.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Pi-star only sees wifi but not computer

Post by KE7FNS »

ki7fcg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am My zumspot-rpi nextion 3.5 shows up on my computer wifi list but my computer can't connect to it.
You have to disconnect your device from all networks, and then scan for networks and connect to the pi-star access point. Normally it is named "pistar-setup"
ki7fcg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am Can't get the ip address even using an ip address finder.
You can't get an address for a device that isn't connected to your network.
ki7fcg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am pi-star.local/ does not work either.
Same, until you get it connected to your router, it doesn't exist.
ki7fcg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am Also, when pi-star is connected it disconnects the computer so I have to use ethernet.
No, just don't connect the computer to any other network, just the pi-star one using wirless. You don't need access to the internet during the setup.
ki7fcg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am This site can’t be reached 192.168.50.98 refused to connect.

Maybe that is the ip address but not sure. why this message? HELP!
Once you have your computer connected to the Pi-star access point, then you can connect to the hotspot. Then once you configure the hotspot you disconnect from the pi-star access point and connect the computer back to your router. Then check the router and see if the hotspot shows up correctly. THEN you can try to connect to the hotspot using http://pi-star/ or http://pi-star.local

Try reading Toshens guide.
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm#bootingpistar
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Connect your computer to the pistar-setup SSID, when asked for the password it is "raspberry", it may not ask you for a password. Open your web browser and type in 192.168.50.1, that should get you connected to you pi-star so you can configure it to your use.
ki7fcg

Post by ki7fcg »

Got it. All is good now. Thanks everyone!
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

ki7fcg wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:46 am Got it. All is good now. Thanks everyone!
Great, glad you got it worked out...